Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swedish Meatballs

These have been a staple at my house for as long as I have been married.  In fact, I even grew up eating this for dinner probably a couple times a month.  Super easy, super yummy.  My kids eat it like candy.  Tastes even better as leftovers!!

 

Combine the following ingredients all together and shape into meatballs.   Place them in a medium heat skillet.  Pick a skillet that you have a lid for.  I like to let the bottom of the meatball brown a little and then turn them once.

1 pound ground beef

1 cup minute rice

1 egg slightly beaten

2 tablespoons minced onion (I use dehydrated onions)

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Dash of pepper

1/2 cup milk

After all you meatballs are in the skillet combine the following ingredients together and pour over the meatballs.

1 can cream of mushroom soup

2/3 cup milk (the original recipe calls for water but I think it is much better if you use milk)

1 teaspoon lemon juice.

Make sure all the meatballs have a little bit of soup on or around them.  Lower the heat to a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes.

Serve over rice or noodles!

*****Side note, I always double this recipe for my family, 7 people.  If you double it, still only use one slightly beaten egg.  Doubling makes just the right amount for dinner plus a little leftover for lunch the next day.

Hope you like it as much as my family!!

Christina (UTmomof5)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy! I would have never thought to include lemon juice in the soup, but it sounds delicious : ) I should try doing that in my hamburger stroganoff too--I've always thought mine was a little bland, and lemon juice would probably be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried these this week. The kids loved them. I liked that they were simple to make.
    Thanks!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete