Monday, April 13, 2009

Breakfast Casserole

So lately I have really been into breakfast, sometimes it just sounds better than dinner, and in my quest for things that can be made ahead or frozen due to my extra baby helping hands, I like to work while she's asleep and this recipe works perfectlyfor that, and it can.... and should be made a day ahead.

Breakfast Casserole
1 pkg (12 oz) Breakfast Sausage Links 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
6 english muffins, cut into 1 in cubes 12 eggs
1/4 c. butter, melted 2 c. milk
2 c. mixed cheese - like mexican or colby jack 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. chopped onion 1/2 tsp pepper
5-8 strips of bacon - cooked

Cook sausage according to package directions. Cool slightly; cut into 1/4in slices. Place english muffin cubes in a greased 9x13 baking dish; drizle with butter. Layer with sausage, cheese, onion, and green pepper. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes.

So I found this recipe in my coupon clipping, its a johnsonville recipe and if you get the paper you have $1 off 2 pkg, this is the recipe with what I changed in it, but theres said you could use red pepper and bacon bits - not a true fan of either but just giving you some breakfast options......it sure is yummy and super easy to make, enjoy it. Another tip for things like this recipe is I like to buy the heat and eat pre-cooked bacon, that way I don't have a whole pound of bacon on my hands...well lets face it I would eat the whole thing, if you haven't tried the heat and eat, its great for when you just need a few slices, like BLT's or this :)

Karley

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Karley! I agree, the pre-cooked bacon is awesome. It's a bit more expensive, but when you figure that regular bacon is all full of fat that's just going to cook away, they're pretty comparable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I'm mad at myself for not eating this at your house when you offered it. Now that I'm doing better, it sounds REALLY good. I will have to make it some time soon.

    ReplyDelete