Sunday, May 16, 2010

Brussels Sprouts (yes, you read that right)

I did not grow up eating Brussels Sprouts. In fact, I lived in Virginia where they like to say they are in "the South," and I never ate them there. My children ate Brussels Sprouts at their babysitter's house. She told the kids (they were still real young), that it was broccoli balls. And they like them!

Well, we move back to Utah, and my husband occasionally buys frozen Brussels Sprouts. And there they sit because, well, I have no clue what to do with them! I search the internet for recipes, but I never try them. So they still sit in my freezer! (I think I even through them out one time...)

Anyway, I got my first "basket" of produce from the co-op yesterday and there were 12 little Brussels Sprouts in there. What in the world was I going to do with them? So I searched one more time and found this recipe and turns out my whole family loved them! (They went well with the meatloaf, too! In fact, I heated up a can of green beans in case the sprouts didn't go over very well... Brussels Sprouts were gone before the green beans!)

So here it is:

Brussels Sprouts (I'd say 2-3 per person)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese (for the springtime and they suggested like Gouda for winter time, so your taste/mood of cheese)

Wash and halve the Brussels Sprouts. Toss them in the olive oil (or I just poured some in my fry pan and then sprayed the tops of them after I placed them cut-side down in the hot pan).
*Don't get the pan too hot or the outside will cook faster than the inside, and that wouldn't taste very good.
Sprinkle sale and pepper on the oiled sprouts.
Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. The cut side will be a nice crusty brown color.
Sprinkle cheese on and serve immediately. These are best warm.

These are fabulous, and my kids asked me to make them another time!

It was a winner dinner day!

And we topped it off with homemade Key Lime Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment