Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hawaiian Haystacks

These are so good that although I just posted it on my blog, I'm coming to post it on this one too. YUM!!

These come from a ward cookbook that I have. I chose them this week because I was flipping though the cookbook and had yum written on the page. I did remember it being tasty. It didn't disappoint today. The other great thing about it was that it was super easy. I put my rice in the rice cooker, put me precooked chicken in the microwave, heated my gravy, chopped my bell pepper and celery together in the food processor and luckily had tomatoes left over from yesterday's tacos. It took very little effort today. Never a bad thing in my book.
Not sure it is the prettiest food to look at, but it sure is tasty.



Ingredients
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 can (9 1/2 oz.) chow mein noodles
  • 2 c. chicken, cooked and cubed
  • 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • 1 c. celery, chopped
  • 1/2 c. green onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
  • 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 c. almonds, slivered (optional)
  • 1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/2 c. coconut (optional)
  • 1 bottle sweet and sour sauce
Directions:

Mix soup and broth to make gravy. Heat and keep warm. Layer on individual plates in the following order: Rice, chowmein noodles, chicken, gravy, veggies, fruit, cheese, almonds, coconut, and sweet and sour sauce. Serves 6 to 8.

1 comment: