Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Instant" Pancake Mix

I have been on a quest to save some serious money at the grocery store. So in my quest to make things more from scratch I found this recipe. It is from my favorite food network guy, Alton Brown.

*6 cups all purpose flour
*1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
*3 teaspoons baking powder
*1 tablespoon kosher salt
*2 tablespoons sugar

I made a huge batch of this and will now just keep it in the pantry. Way easy and all things most people have on hand anyway.

Instant Pancakes
*2 eggs, separated
*2 cups buttermilk (you can use regular milk and just add a little lemon juice or vinegar)
*4 tablespoons melted butter
*2 cups "instant" pancake mix (above recipe)

Whisk together egg whites and buttermilk
Whisk together egg yolks and melted butter (be sure the butter isn't still hot or you will cook the egg yolks)
Mix the liquids together and then mix with dry ingredients. Do not over mix, there will be some lumps.

I added blueberries (I had some left over from a 4th of July dessert I made).

To feed my family of 7 I didn't double the recipe but I added 50%. Does that make sense? I did 3 eggs, 3 cups buttermilk. 6 tablespoons butter, 3 cups pancake mix. It was just the right amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment