Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chinese Style Lemon Chicken

So in my quest to make my own chinese food - hence save a little cash I signed up for a Thanksgiving Point Cooking class with my friend...if you want more chinese you'll have to fork over some dough she'll teach again in sept- but I figure it saves me buying take out if I can make it....here is one of the recipes from our little class, and let me tell you, it beats the lemon chicken you would order from those places - it tastes much fresher, less sugary.

1 lb. skinless chicken breast fillets
1 cup each: flour & panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs lightly beaten
4 cup vegetable oil

marinate:
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp. mushroom seasoning - can buy it at the chinese type markets / stores
1 tbsp. rice wine
1/4 tsp. pepper

Sauce:
2-3 large fresh lemon, makes about 3/4 cup juice
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
cornstarch mixture: 2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp. water


Cut chicken breast lenghtwise in half; marinate chicken for at least 15 minutes or overnight.

Cook the lemon mixing sauce in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Turn off the heat.

Place the flour, beaten eggs & bread crumbs on a different bowls. Heat 4 cups of oil until hot to deep-fry chicken. Dip marinated chicken in the flour first, then in the egg, last in the breadcrumbs. Deep fry the chicken until golden brown crust forms. Set on plate, cut chicken into strips & top with sauce.

Karley

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good!! I too love Chinese take out a little to much. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete