Friday, August 14, 2009

Mexican Chicken

The next 2 are super easy, yummy recipes I found in an old ward cookbook.

1 whole chicken, cooked, deboned, and cut in bite-sized pieces.
1 6 oz. can black olives, sliced
2 4 oz cans diced green chiles
1 tsp. salt
1 large onion, chopped and sauteed in 1 stick butter (may also saute tomatoes)
3 cans cream of chicken soup (or 1 chicken, 1 mushroom, 1 sour cream)
5 to 7 oz. tortilla strips, broken in pieces or coursely crushed (too many chips will make dish dry)

Mix all ingredients well. Place in a 9X13 inch baking dish, buttered. Cover with foil. Bake 30 to 40 minutes (until bubbly) in a 350* oven. Top with grated Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese. Serves about 15.

OK, I used my precooked frozen chicken (see recipe below.) I only used 1 can of diced green chilies knowing my little ones don't like food too spicy. I sauteed my onions, and because it said I could, at the end I added tomatoes -but I just added a drained can of diced tomatoes. I added 2 cans of cream of chicken, and 8 oz. sour cream. I also mixed all of my ingredients in the frying pan that I had sauteed my onions in, and I left it on, so everything got heated up on the stove. (I was also hoping to speed dinner along.) I also didn't read well and didn't cover it with foil, and put the cheese on at the beginning. It was done in 30 min. I think I may have even taken it out early. Super yummy and pretty quick!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm....sounds like comfort food. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have all the stuff to make this - dinner anyone??

    ReplyDelete