Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Miracle of Magic Mix

Kari found a really, really cool website while she was playing on Facebook the other day. It's called Everyday Food Storage (I've put a link to the left also). Anyway, one of the things I found on there that I'm really excited about is called Magic Mix. Here is how it's made:

2 1/3 c powdered milk (I just picked up a 10# can of Morning Moos at Walmart for $11)
1 c all purpose flour
1 c (2 sticks) margarine (not spread) or butter at room temperature

Using a blender or blender attachment on your mixer, mix until it looks like cornmeal. Store tightly sealed in the fridge. I put mine in a freezer bag, she suggested a 10# can.

The important thing is everything you can make with it! Today I made chocolate pudding with it. YUM-O. Here's how:

1/2 c sugar
1 c magic mix
2-3 T cocoa
2 c water
1 t vanilla

Combine magic mix, sugar, and cocoa in saucepan and mix well. Add water, stir over medium heat until pudding bubbles. Add vanilla and beat. Cover and cool.

She also has instructions for making white sauce, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, etc. (I want to make these and freeze can sized portions). There's even a recipe for homemade fudgesicles using the magic mix.

You can find all her recipes and posts using Magic Mix here.

I love learning all of this new information that helps me to save money and be more self-sufficient. There are so many things that you can make for yourself using basic cooking staples instead of mixes and pre-prepared things from the store.

Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment